CIA operatives Saudi and Qatar sponsored mercenaries fight alongside Libyan anti-government forces in Misrata :Reuters

Reuters reports on Saudi and Qatar backed mercenaries fighting with “rebel” forces in Libya.
excerpted by Rawlinsview
Mercenaries joining both sides in Libya conflict
Thu Jun 2, 2011 10:12pm GMT

By Mark Hosenball

WASHINGTON, June 2 (Reuters) – Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi and rebel groups seeking to depose him are both hiring private military contractors to bolster their fighting forces, according to U.S. and Western security officials.

They said small numbers of private contractors were turning up on the ground in Libya working with rebels fighting Gaddafi’s forces.
* * *
Contractors working with the Benghazi-based rebels may have come from or been recruited through private military companies in countries such as France and Britain, which are playing the most active front-line roles in the NATO campaign.

Last month, four French nationals who had been working in Libya for private security firm Secopex were freed after apparently being held in Benghazi for several days by rebel forces. A fifth member of the group, former paratrooper Pierre Marziali, was killed at the time of their capture.

While there were allegations that Secopex was working for Gaddafi’s government, the company issued a statement saying that to the contrary, it was in contact with rebels. Secopex said its personnel had been offering bodyguard services to businessmen and were trying to establish a corridor for safe passage between Benghazi and Cairo.
* * *
A classified “covert action finding” signed by U.S. President Barack Obama earlier this year authorized the CIA to plan and conduct a wide spectrum of operations in support of Gaddafi’s opponents….They said CIA operatives have been on the ground in Libya collecting intelligence and providing some advice to rebels as well as helping them to organize.

Like the Obama Administration, Britain’s coalition government says it has drawn the line at financing mercenary operations against Gaddafi.
* * *

Earlier this week, Britain’s Guardian newspaper reported that former soldiers from an elite British commando unit, the Special Air Service, and other private contractors from Western countries were on the ground in the Libyan city of Misrata.

The Guardian said contractors were helping NATO identify possible targets in the heavily contested city and passing this information, as well as information about the movements of Gaddafi’s forces, to a NATO command center in Naples, Italy. The newspaper reported that a group of six armed Westerners had been filmed by the Al Jazeera TV network talking to rebels in Misrata; the men fled after realizing they were being filmed.

U.S. officials have said the governments of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which oppose Gaddafi, are willing to back his opponents with money and weapons.

One U.S. official said there are indications that Qatar may be paying outsiders to help the Libyan rebels. Qatar’s embassy in Washington did not respond to a request for comment.
***
© Thomson Reuters 2011 All rights reserved
To read the complete article follow this link

About rawlinsview

News and political commentary from the point of view of the social interests of the international working class.
This entry was posted in Libya. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s